Brisbane - What's changed?


It has been almost a year since I quit my job in Tokyo and moved back to Brisbane. For the most part, I did not experience culture shock as much as I thought I would. I think this is a case of good timing, being ready to leave Japan and keeping myself busy since returning. That being said, I was away from Australia for a long time, and although many things are still the same, there are also some differences. It has been interesting and challenging discovering these differences and carving out a new life for myself here. Here are some of the biggest changes that I have noticed since returning.

1.     Bye bye plastic bags
In my absence many stores have done away with plastic bags, forcing people to either bring their own or play the ‘how many food items can I carry before I drop them’ game which is one of my favourite games. I managed to completely miss the transitional phase of this and arrived home well and truly after people had gotten used to it, so it felt almost like magic!

2.     Hello fuel cycle
This next one is possibly the most absurd change I have noticed in Australia. One minute fuel is $1.25 per litre, the next it is $1.72 per litre. There is no warning as to when this change will occur, and how long it will take for fuel to slowly make its way down to the lower end of the price cycle, just bam! Too late! Have fun pushing your car home! Even after a year, I still can’t believe this is the new reality. The sooner I can go back to a car-free life, the better.

3.     Scooters are trendy
Thanks to ridesharing services like Lime and Neuron, scooters have made a comeback in Brisbane. Young and old alike are whizzing around central Brisbane, some even investing in their own scooter. I love the idea, but most of the time I prefer to walk. Got to get my daily exercise somehow.

4.     International students are an industry
Take a walk through any university campus in Australia and you may start to feel like you are walking through a general assembly of the United Nations. There are students from every corner of the world, although fewer from countries like Germany, France and Sweden, cause who would pay ridiculous international student fees here when you can get a degree at home for free?! Education has become one of Australia’s biggest export sectors, attracting large numbers of students mostly from Asian countries and many of whom hope to get permanent residency after graduation. Businesses targeting international students such as student accommodation, support services, and English language schools have also increased exponentially. As a student myself, I am really enjoying studying with people from all different backgrounds, although sometimes language barriers pose a problem for group work.

5.     Convenience is up
In general, things seem a little more convenient than they used to be. Many things can now be done online, saving that extra trip to the bank or phone call to the electricity company, and cutting down the wait time when you do need to go to or contact these places. I’ve wasted hours of my life waiting in lines in Japan. I think I waited at Docomo for over three hours once. I am not saying we have got it right, but I think is Australia is embracing new technology in a positive way and I have noticed an improvement in convenience. Also, I really like when I don’t have to take a ticket at the entrance to the carpark because they have the little camera that scans my number plate. Saves paper too! Although, I do miss the Japanese convenience stores and postal service - those cannot be beat!

There are a few other things that I think might have changed, but I never really paid attention to them before I left Australia, so I can’t be sure. For example, I think we have a lot more restaurants that serve authentic foods from different countries now compared to 8 years ago. However, I didn’t eat out a lot before I moved to Japan because I was trying to save money, so I don’t really know what we used to have. Also, finding a job seems to have become a lot harder, although this could also be because I am older and pickier than I once was. My interests and priorities have changed a lot over the years, so I am experiencing Brisbane as I never have before.

I am trying my best to look at these changes not as positives and negatives, but just embracing them as a part of my new life. I don’t think I have fully adjusted back to Aussie life yet, I still bow when I am driving and talk like an English teacher, but I don’t think it’s necessary to become fully immersed. Brisbane is a diverse community and there is a lot of freedom and acceptance of individuality. I am happy being my slightly odd, bi-cultural self.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Job Hunting Post-Japan

Who moved the @ button

A day in my life.